Ema is one of my fave places in Chicago right now and they are so gluten-free friendly — they even have a separate gluten-free menu. It’s a Mediterranean, California-inspired restaurant that is so v chic. And they’re Lettuce Entertain You, which you know I love. I’ve made two visits here, once with my vegan mother, and it was so easy for both of us to eat here! I was just so excited about everything that I took a photo, no, actually VIDEO, of the menu so I present that to you there.
The cocktails are fab. But let’s get to the food. First, their spreads. They have a huge selection of spreads that are GF and served with GF crackers (YAAAS). The crackers were delicious. I’ve tried the Avocado & Sweet Pea and the Roasted Almond & Garlic, both amaze.
Here’s a rundown of the dishes I’ve tried:
- House-made Stracciatella – I rarely meet a stracciatella I don’t like, but Ema’s with the vine-ripened tomatoes, was especially flavorful.
- Brussels Sprouts – Crispy with a hint of sweetness.
- Green Falafel – GOD I LOVE FALAFEL and this did not disappoint. Perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Black Lime Shrimp – Shrimp is sometimes just shrimp. These were good, but not the most amazing thing I’ve ever had.
- Charred Broccoli – You know when you get something and you don’t think you’ll love it, but you do? That was this.
- Scallops – They were nearly perfect. Get this.
- Chicken Kefta – Super simple and super good. Lemon, olive oil, tzatziki.
Net net, I’m a fan. Get after it, fine people!
[…] Ema (River North) A little Mediterranean, a little California-inspired, it has a great, airy vibe and even better food. The grub (mainly small plates) is amazing and veggie-forward. They make some mean spreads/dips and offer GF crackers to dip in as well. Since it’s small plates, it’s pretty easy not to go ham on the portion sizes here. It’s another Lettuce Entertain You restaurant so they are great about gluten-free. See my review HERE. […]